Elizabethan Era

The life and times of a premature baby.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Three kids? Whose idea was this anyway?

Sorry for the lack of updates; it has been busy.

Apart from the first night, I haven't been as nervous as I thought I might be. I've gotten used to the idea that the wee girl will keep breathing on her own now. I figure she's probably good to go for 100 years now. (but I still check from time to time; she's so little)

We've been coping. The little girl is supposed to be feeding every four hours or so, and this can take two hours to do. I find we have to be very careful and thorough about burping her. If we don't get all the bubbles, we will see part of her meal again. The other two were like this as well. Fortunately, my patented Miller Baby Burping technique is working. The "Don't Shake A Baby" people might not like it very much, but it works for me. :-)

Elizabeth seems to have settled in to her new environment. We thought that it might be too dark and quiet at home here (it is never really dark in the NICU), but this hasn't been a problem. She might even be appreciating the moments of quiet too.

You could see it in her eyes the first few days; if Kate or Duncan started wailing nearby, she'd open her eyes as if to say "What the hell is THAT?" but, she seems to be getting used to the commotion. She's learning that she has to compete for attention too. If we're immersed in some other crisis, she gets louder and louder as she gets more and more hungry. I figure it's good practice for her lungs, and if I'm otherwise occupied (say, chasing Duncan down the hallway to wipe his butt before he sits on something) I'll sometimes let her practice a bit.

Oh yes, and this week was Kate's dance recital, so we've had her to rehearsals every night. As I said, it's been busy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home